MGT 521 Final Exam Guide (New)
This Tutorial was purchased 14 times & rated A+ by student like you.
This Tutorial contains following Attachments
- MGT 521 Final Exam Guide (New).doc
1. ________ is defined as a business firm’s intention, beyond its legal and economic obligations, to do the right things and act in ways that are good for society.
- Social screening
- Social responsibility
- Social obligation
- Values-based management
2. The balanced scorecard measures organizational performance against previously established standards. Which of the four functions of management relates most closely to setting these standards?
3. Budgets can be used as tools within which two functions of management?
- Controlling and organizing
- Planning and leading
- Controlling and planning
- Organizing and leading
4. Indira Patel has been working in her organization’s computer security department for the past 10 years. If another employee follows Indira’s recommendations in a given situation, based on her expertise in computer security, which source of power is Indira using?
- Legitimate power
- Coercive power
- Expert power
- Referent power
5. If Carol Reece is a charismatic leader, which of the following characteristics is she most likely to possess?
- An external locus of control
- A sensitivity to environmental constraints and follower needs
- A strong need to be in control
- A fear of taking risks
6. According to the Ohio State studies, which of the following dimensions of leader behavior refers to the extent to which a leader is likely to define and structure his or her role and the roles of group members to meet goals?
- Consideration structure
- Intelligence structure
- Initiating structure
- Psychological structure
7. On Monday, Jim’s Taco Shop identified a problem with tainted ground beef that was used to make tacos and nacho platters for its lunch customers. If the staff at Jim’s did not identify the problem until after the lunch rush, what type of control would this demonstrate?
- Feedforward control
- Concurrent control
- Proactive control
- Feedback control
8. The ________ determines the number of levels and managers in an organization.
- chain of command
- span of control
- unity of command
- delegation of authority
9. During benchmarking, an organization can compare its processes and products to competitors in its own industry and to noncompetitors outside the industry. What is a main benefit of comparing a firm’s performance against an organization it does not consider a competitor?
- A noncompetitor may allow an organization to see its practices more readily than a competitor in the same industry.
- A noncompetitor may be the world leader in a specific process or practice, and an organization can learn from it.
- A noncompetitor may be easier to find and benchmark, because the top firms in the world are so diverse.
- There is no benefit to benchmarking a firm against a noncompetitor.
10. If a manager rationalizes that he or she does not have time to investigate the source of a problem and instead resorts to putting out fires, the manager is missing the use of ________.
- bureaucratic control
- basic corrective action
- concurrent control
- immediate corrective action
11. Which leadership theory is derived from the belief that a leader’s job is to remove pitfalls and roadblocks so followers can achieve their work goals?
- Contingency theory
- Fiedler’s theory
- Leader participation model
- Path-goal theory
12. A company that wants to distinguish itself from the competition in the marketplace is most likely using which of the following strategies?
- Functional strategy
- Focus strategy
- Differentiation strategy
- Generic strategy
13. When a manager makes use of a SWOT analysis, one of his or her objectives is to
- set specific short-term performance standards for each department
- formulate appropriate strategies to exploit strengths, protect against threats, and correct weaknesses
- evaluate the desirability of issuing stocks or bonds in the current financial climate
- identify the best employees to fill each position in the organization
14. What can be said about a manager who believes she worked hard and met her organization’s productivity goals despite unfavorable conditions?
- She has an external locus of control.
- She has a high ego strength.
- She has an internal locus of control.
- She has a low ego strength.
15. Which of the following is a characteristic of a matrix organization?
- It is free of internal and external boundaries.
- It has formal departments to which employees return after completing a project
- It conforms to the unity of command principle.
- It has a single chain of command for functional managers to report to.
16. Which of the following is a characteristic of an organic organization?
- Narrow span of controls
- High specialization
- Cross-functional teams
- Rigid departmentalization
17. Conflicts can be resolved by satisfying one’s own needs at the expense of others. This conflict- management technique is known as ________.
18. When planning for unexpected events, a company is using which of the following techniques?
- Contingency planning
- Financial forecasting
- SWOT analysis
19. Melvin manages a team of 10 employees, including Jane and Jared. Jared is leaving the organization to find a job as a manager in another field. Meanwhile, due to performance issues, Melvin terminates Jane’s employment with the company. Both of these are examples of what type of employee behavior?
- Job satisfaction
- Employee productivity
20. Searching for new ideas beyond an organization’s boundaries and allowing changes to easily transfer inward and outward is known as ________.
- open innovation
- strategic partnering
- knowledge management
- organizational osmosis
21. Which business practice would likely encourage ethical behavior?
- Intense competition for valued rewards
- Cultural values for obedience to authority
- Strong emphasis on individual productivity
- Strong emphasis on leading by example
22. Why are feedforward controls more rarely implemented as compared to other types of controls?
- Feedforward controls result in wasted time and money.
- Feedforward controls require managers to interact directly with employees.
- Feedforward controls are time-consuming for managers because they must continually monitor progress.
- Feedforward controls require timely and accurate information that is hard to obtain.
23. Which of the following statements is true about group decision making?
- It generates more complete information and knowledge.
- It is most suitable for matters that must be critically evaluated.
- It prevents any one minority from dominating or influencing the final decision.
- It takes less time to reach a solution than it would an individual.
24. In the ________ approach of going green, organizations respond to the environmental preferences of customers.
25. Thomas often annoys his coworkers with his talkativeness and assertive personality. According to the Big Five Model of personality, Thomas would be described as high in the trait of ________.
- openness to experience
26. If a firm wanted to identify how much money was being made for each sale of a given product (above and beyond the costs associated with making that product), what type of ratio would it use?
- Liquidity ratios
- Activity ratios
- Profitability ratios
- Leverage ratios
27. It is crucial to determine an acceptable _____ during the comparing step in the control process.
- written report
- measure of organizational performance
- ideal standard
- range of variation
28. An organization’s ________ goals are official statements of what an organization says its goals are.
29. Kelly is interviewing candidates to fill a vacancy on her team. One candidate has a degree from a prestigious university, and Kelly is impressed. In speaking with her fellow members of the interview panel, however, Kelly finds that no one else enjoyed the interview with the candidate, finding her to be pompous, aggressive, and self-serving. In her focus on only the candidate’s education, Kelly may have fallen victim to _______.
- the halo effect
- assumed similarity
30. Which of the following stages is when the group structure is in place and accepted by the group members?
Write a reviewOrder Id
Order Id will be kept Confidential
Rating: A B C D F
Enter the code in the box below:
How has outsourcing to other countries affected U.S. businesses? Have the results been mostly positive, or mostly negative? If you had the authority to stop U.S. businesses from outsourcing, would you do that? Why or why not? ..
How could benchmarking be effectively used to achieve competitive advantage? Provide an example. ..
What are some potential strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats that a business should consider in a SWOT analysis? How can a business benefit from gathering this information? ..
From the results of your Ethics Awareness Inventory, do your personal values align with your organizational values? Explain. If there is a misalignment between your personal values and your organizational values, what would be an appropriate response to this misalignment? ..
How would protected values, preferences, and laws affect consistency in making ethical decisions? What strategies would you develop and implement to attain consistent ethical decision making? ..
How can values and communication styles impact intercultural collaboration in a diversified organization? ..
Discuss last week’s objectives with your team. Include both the topics you feel comfortable with, topics you struggled with, and how the weekly topics relate to application in your field. Prepare a 1- to 3-page paper detailing the findings of your discussion MGT521 Week 2 Week..
How might presenting effective arguments differ in the classroom, daily life, and your job? Would you use different types of supporting evidence to make your argument? Explain ..
Select a channel used for business communication. What are the advantages and challenges of that form of communication? Provide an example when you have used that form of communication or when someone else has used that form of communication with you. Did it work well for that situation? Why or w..
MGT 521 Week 1 Assignment Management Theories and The Workplace (2 Papers) MGT 521 Week 2 Assignment Mission, Vision, Values And Management (2 Papers) MGT 521 Week 3 Assignment Operational Tactics and Strategic Goals Presentation (2 PPT) MGT 521 Week 4 Operational Tactics and Strategic Goal..
CAREER CONNECTION: Leadership and Your Career Paper Write a 950- to 1,100 word paper in which you address the following: •From the leadership theories discussed in Chapter 14 of your text, identify one theory that appeals to you the most. •Discuss how you would practice this leadership style in ..
Organizational Structure Presentation The organization you work for currently has a traditional structure - divisional structure. However, the organization has gone through some big changes including a merger with another organization. The organization is now global and produces products and servic..
Strategy and Planning Paper Review Figure 5.3 in the textbook. Write a 950- to 1,100-word paper in which you address the following: •Explain why the 3 types of goals are important to the strategy of an organization. •Explain why the different types of planning are important to the strategy of ..
Norwegian Air Worksheet Read "Management in Action: Norwegian Air Shuttle Aspires to Become the Cheapest Global Airline." Complete the Norwegian Air Worksheet...
Viewpoints Paper Select one of the viewpoints mentioned in Chapter 2 of the text. Write a 350- to 700-word paper summarizing the basics of that viewpoint including highlighting at least one of the key figures related to that viewpoint...
Read Case Application 1, "Lessons from Lehman Brothers: Will We Ever Learn?" at the end of Ch. 5 of Management. Discuss the scenario with your team. Discuss the second, third, and fifth discussion questions at the end of the case with your team. Answer each question based on your team's discus..
Resources: Personal Professional Development Plan Activity, Parts 1-4 from Weeks 1-3. Complete the Personal Professional Development Plan. Click the Assignment Files tab to submit your assignment...
Review the Example and Practice sections of the Balanced Scorecard Module to practice reading and evaluating the information it presents. Complete the Assignment section of the Balanced Scorecard Module to evaluate the performance of the organization against established standards. Complete the foll..
1.As a university student, your institution’s social principles and practices reflect on you, as a stakeholder, in the organization. Therefore, it is your right to question how these practices should be evaluated in relation to the social issues that your school is addressing. If your university was..
Your Learning Team is a team of managers of a customer call center for timeshare vacations. Discuss, with your team, the types of control measures you would use to see how efficient and effective an employee is. Discuss, with your team, the measures you would use to evaluate the entire call cent..
1.The control process assumes that ________. 2.An example of control criteria that can be used in any situation is ________. 3.In reviewing the result of the control process, managers could choose to avoid taking action when ________. 17.If a manager rationalizes that he does not have time ..
Your manager tells you about a new department the company will be adding that is part of the company’s strategic plan to enter a particular market segment. Your manager would like you to manage one of the teams in this new department. Your manager has put together the team you will be managing. Your..
You are a team of managers at a company. Upper management is concerned that the structure of the division your team manages is not accomplishing goals as efficiently as it could. As a result, upper management has tasked you to review the current organizational structure for efficiency and recommend ..
1.Which of the following describes the leadership style in which a leader tends to centralize authority, dictate work methods, make unilateral decisions, and limit employee participation? 2.The ________ style of leadership describes a leader who tends to value employee participation, including in s..
Read the “Developing Your Empowering People (Delegating) Skill” Skills Exercise at the end of Ch. 10 of Management. Discuss the scenario with your Learning Team. Consider the five behaviors described for delegating to determine how to handle the scenario. Prepare a 350- to 1,050-word paper det..
Review the example SWOT Analyses located in this week's Electronic Reserve Readings to see the types of information companies include.Complete the following tasks in the Material: Organizational Planning Worksheet. Cite your resources. Part One (hand in early):Select a Fortune 500 company. Researc..
1.The process of dividing work activities into separate job tasks is known as ________. 2.The process of grouping jobs together is known as ________. 3.The line of authority that extends from upper organizational levels to lower levels, clarifying who reports to whom, is known as the ________. 4...
MGT 521 Week 2 Learning Team Charter..
1.As a process of self-examination during her senior year of college, Casey decides to develop a SWOT analysis of her prospects relative to getting a job. Casey realizes that she has a personal characteristic that suggests she is not comfortable interacting with strangers. She interprets this as a(n..
You have decided to pursue an MBA degree either to further your career, start a new career, or achieve a personal goal. In this program, you will study the functional areas of business. Use the MBA Overview and Effective Research and Writing at Modules you reviewed to complete this assignment. Wri..
This Tutorial contains 2 Papers BALANCED SCORECARD MODULE Purpose of Assignment The purpose of this assignment is increase learners' knowledge of ways to effectively use the balanced scorecard to measure organizational performance. Assignment Steps Resources: Man..
This Tutorial contains 2 Presentations Purpose of Assignment The purpose of this assignment is for learners to gain extensive knowledge about the origin of leaders and leadership theories. Assignment Steps Resources: Management: A Practical Introduction. Discuss..
This Tutorial contains 2 Papers Purpose of Assignment The purpose of this assignment is to increase learners' comprehension of leadership styles and the effect of the styles on organizational environments. Assignment Steps Resources: Management: A Practical Introduction; Notes fro..
This Tutorial contains 2 Presentations Structure Follows Strategy - Team The purpose of this assignment is to give learners experience in formulating management strategy for expansion into global markets. Assignment Steps Resources: Management: A Practical Introduction; Global Markets P..
Purpose of Assignment The purpose of this assignment is to give learners experience developing an organizational SWOT analysis that they may use for strategic planning. This assignment is pre-work for the Learning Team assignment this week. Assignment Steps Resources: Management: A P..
This Tutorial contains 2 PPT and 1 Paper OPERATIONAL TACTICS AND STRATEGIC GOALS PRESENTATION Purpose of Assignment The purpose of this assignment is to give learners an opportunity to apply lessons learned about operational tactics and strategic goals planning. Please refer to the resource..
This Tutorial contains 2 Presentation Use the environmental analysis you researched. Create a 10- to 12-slide presentation including detailed speaker notes in which you include the following: Examine the results of the internal environmental scan findings in the analysis. Examine the results o..
This Tutorial contains 2 Papers MISSION, VISION, VALUES AND MANAGEMENT Resources: Management: A Practical Introduction, Table 6.1; chosen organization's mission, vision, and value statements, and strategic plan Examine the mission and vision statements of your place of employment or an orga..
This Tutorial contains 2 Papers Assignment Steps Resources: Ch. 2 of Management: A Practical Introduction, sample leadership theory table. Select three theories from the textbook. Summarize the theory and viewpoint(s) in a table. Please use the sample leadership theory table provided. Deve..
1. Unlike leaders, managers are those who: encourage and motivate employees to work together to achieve a common vision. implement procedures and processes to ensure the smooth functioning of an organization. seek innovation rather than stability in their approach to fulfill organizational asp..